What is the latest official advice for health professionals about the Coronavirus 2019-nCoV?
Currently health agencies across the globe are coordinating efforts to contain and eliminate the new coronavirus.
Health professionals in Canada have a critical role to play in identifying, reporting and managing potential cases of novel coronavirus infection.
While all healthcare providers have a role to play in the early detection of potentially infected patient, the first concern of dentists must be to prevent the spread of this infection, particularly if cases are detected and become present in their communities.
We have reviewed the information on the Health Canada, CDC and WHO websites and we have concluded that currently two critical pieces of information are missing:
- How does contagion occur?
- When do infected individuals become contagious?
Until this information becomes available, our ability to provide advice that is specific to 2019-nCoV is limited to preparedness for the precautions related to a general respiratory illness.
We will continue to monitor the progress of the disease and provide regular updates in an effort to keep you informed. We will bring you an alert every time there is an update to this resource.
Please let us know if you have a question or would like to know more. You can leave a comment in the box below or email us.
CDA Oasis Team
- Health Canada: 2019 Novel Coronavirus infection (Wuhan, China): For health professionals
- Santé Canada: Pour les professionnels de la santé : Nouveau coronavirus de 2019 (Wuhan, Chine)
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention: 2019 Novel Coronavirus, Wuhan, China
- World Health Organization: Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV)