CE Showcase ASM 2017: A Practical Approach to Diagnosing and Treating Common Oral Lesions
I had a great conversation with Dr. Scott De Rossi, Dean of the School of Dentistry at the University of North Carolina. Dr. De Rossi will present two sessions at ASM 2017.
Chiraz Guessaier, CDA Oasis Manager
- A Practical Approach to Diagnosing and Treating Common Oral Lesions
- This fun, informative, multimedia program will review many common oral manifestations of systemic drugs. Special attention will be paid to the clinical manifestations, diagnosis, and treatment of these conditions, including bisphosphonate-associated osteonecrosis.
- May 5, 2017: 2:00 – 4:30 pm
- Oral Manifestations of Systemic Disease: The Window to General Health
- The presentation will summarize known, and reveal some newly described, oral manifestations of several systemic disorders. Lesions of the oral mucosa, tongue, gingival, dentition, periodontium and salivary glands will be highlighted.
- May 5, 2017: 9:30 am – 12:00 pm
Scott S. De Rossi, DMD, MBA
Dr. De Rossi received his DMD from the University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine in 1995 and completed his post-doctoral training in oral medicine at the University of Pennsylvania Medical Center in 1997. Dr. De Rossi has maintained an active practice limited to oral medicine since 1998. He achieved diplomate status from the American Board of Oral Medicine in 1999. Currently, he is professor and dean of the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill School of Dentistry.
Prior to joining UNC, Dr. De Rossi was professor of Oral Medicine, director of the Clinical Center for Oral Medicine, and chairman of Oral Health and Diagnostic Sciences at the Augusta University Dental College of Georgia (DCG). There, he also held joint faculty appointments in the Departments of Dermatology and Otolaryngology/Head and Neck Surgery at the Medical College of Georgia. He completed his MBA from the Hull College of Business at Augusta University in 2016.
Dr. De Rossi is the 2011 recipient of the International Association of Dental Research Innovation in Oral Care Award, a 2012-13 fellow in the American Dental Education Association (ADEA) Leadership Institute, a 2014 recipient of the Judson C. Hickey Excellence in Teaching Award at the DCG, and the 2017 winner of the Herschfus Award from the American Academy of Oral Medicine (AAOM).
Dr. De Rossi is a co-author of the Burket’s Oral Medicine textbook, guest editor of the July 2013 edition of Dental Clinics of North America on Orofacial Pain, and has lectured and published over 100 scientific articles, textbook chapters, and monographs on all aspects of Oral Medicine including TMD and orofacial pain, medically complex patients, salivary gland disorders and oral mucosal diseases. He serves on the board of trustees and executive committee as treasurer for the AAOM. Dr. De Rossi also maintains memberships in the American Dental Association, ADEA and the American Association of Dental Research.