CE Showcase ASM 2017: Oral Sedation for Dentistry: Clinical “How-to” Concepts and Current Controversies
It was a pleasure to meet and speak with Dr. Mel Hawkins for this interview. Generously, he prepared these slides to tell our audience what his session on sedation will be about during ASM 2017. I hope you enjoy the conversation.
Chiraz Guessaier, CDA Oasis Manager
- During the session pharmacokinetics/pharmacodynamics of oral sedation will be reviewed, including the difference between duration and halflife and importance of the first pass effect.
- Emphasis will be on the benzodiazepines.
- “How might a dentist incorporate and/or improve an office sedation protocol?”
- “Monitoring, complications, reversal, safety and a suggested pediatric regimen are all included in a comprehensive lecture review format.
- “How do I legally protect myself?”
- “How is responsibility and value related to a professional sedation fee?”
- Mistakes, case reports and their outcomes from more than 30+ years of private practice are presented.
- To comprehend the pharmacology of sedatives applicable to the child and adult
- To have an understanding of fees, values and responsibilities
- To assess situational problems, mistakes made and hindsight solutions in private practice
Dr. Hawkins’ session runs May 6, 2017: 8:30 – 11:00 am Continuous 12:30 – 3:00 pm
Dr. Mel Hawkins, DDS, BSc AN, FADSA, DADBA
Mel Hawkins graduated from the University of Toronto, Faculty of Dentistry with his DDS degree in 1973 and returned for his formal training in Dental Anesthesiology at the same University from 1975-1976. He is the Founding Director of the Intravenous Sedation Certification, Continuing Education Program in Canada at the University of Toronto and the University of Alberta. He has over 30 years of private practice experience in Toronto, Canada, with special emphasis on pain control and patient management and unique local anesthesia requirements for the dental patient. Mel has been lecturing throughout the United States, Canada, Mexico, Europe and Asia for over 40 years.
Dr. Hawkins is board certified as a Diplomate of the American Dental Board of Anesthesiologists and is a Fellow of the American Dental Society of Anesthesiology. Dr. Hawkins holds honorary fellowships with the International College of Dentists and with the Pierre Fouchard International Academy.
Dr. Hawkins is an author, clinician and speaker on topics concerning sedation and pain free management of the dental patient and for eleven consecutive years from 2005-present has been recognized as a “Top 100 Clinician” and Annual Leader in CE by “Dentistry Today”.