University of Toronto: 3-Minute Thesis Competition 2022
The 3-Minute Thesis (3MT) Competition is an internationally recognized research communication competition where participants have three minutes to deliver a compelling presentation on their thesis research for a non-specialized lay audience using a single static slide. No data, no technical jargon – it’s all about the messaging.
On December 14, 2021, the Faculty of Dentistry at the University of Toronto (U of T) will be hosting the opening round of their 2022 3MT competition. Participants will be judged by a panel of 5 judges and an audience vote. Three candidates will be selected to progress to a final round, which will be held on the Faculty of Dentistry Research Day in February 2022.
In this video, Dr. Laurent Bozec and Dr. Laura Dempster, Associate Professors at the Faculty of Dentistry, U of T, provide further details about the competition and explain why communication plays an important role in scientific research.
“We often don’t know much about the wonderful research that is being carried out at the Faculty of Dentistry. The 3-Minute Thesis gives everyone a chance to present in an equal setting, whether they are supported by federal funding or not.” Dr. Laurent Bozec
The opening round of this year’s event will be held on Zoom at 1 p.m. ET, on Tuesday, 14 December. You can get FREE access and participate in the audience vote at: https://utoronto.zoom.us/j/83279288795 (passcode 578680).
“When you have dedicated months and years to your work, the ability to condense that work into a three-minute story is very challenging, but it is also critical to the dissemination of the work.” Dr. Laura Dempster
2022 JUDGING PANEL:
- Julia Al Akaila, Advancement Office, Faculty of Dentistry, University of Toronto
- Zachary Gouveia, 2021 3-MT Faculty Winner, Faculty of Dentistry, University of Toronto
- Nelson Cabral, Manager, Business & Administration, Department of Laboratory Medicine & Pathobiology, Faculty of Medicine, University of Toronto
- Carilynne Yarascavitch, Professor, Faculty of Dentistry, University of Toronto
- Karina Carneiro, Professor, Faculty of Dentistry, University of Toronto
- U of T School of Graduate Studies - 3 Minute Thesis Competition
- U of T Faculty of Dentistry
- Canadian Association of Graduate Studies - National 3-Minute Thesis Competition
We hope you find the conversation useful. We welcome your thoughts, questions and/or suggestions about this post and other topics. Leave a comment in the box below or send us your feedback by email.
Until next time!
CDA Oasis Team