World Antimicrobial Awareness Week
Antimicrobial resistance (AMR) is already undermining modern medicine and is a major public health threat that can affect anyone, of any age, in any country.
In Canada, AMR is already a significant burden on human health, health care and the economy – causing almost 15 deaths a day and costing our health care system about $1.4 billion annually.
AMR is a concern for all clinicians, including oral health professionals. Dentists prescribe about 10% of all antibiotics for humans. Studies show that some of these prescriptions are unnecessary.
November 18-24 is World Antimicrobial Awareness Week and this year’s theme is “Spread Awareness, Stop Resistance.”
In the below video, Canada’s Deputy Chief Public Health Officer, Dr. Howard Njoo, speaks about the importance of antimicrobial resistance (AMR) and why the time to act on this issue is now.
The Canadian Dental Association supports raising awareness of antimicrobial resistance and to avoid the further emergence of drug-resistant infections. The FDI World Dental Federation's whitepaper, "The essential role of the dental team in reducing antibiotic resistance,” provides a framework for dental teams seeking to tackle the problem of antibiotic resistance.
- Canadian Dental Association: Consensus Statement: Dental Patients with Total Joint Replacement
- Public Health Agency of Canada: We can all take simple steps to do our part in fighting AMR. You can find more information on the safe use of antibiotics and other antimicrobial drugs at ca/antibiotics.
- British Society for Antimicrobial Chemotherapy: Free online course: Tackling Antibiotic Resistance: What should dental team do?
- FDI World Dental Federation: Project: Antibiotic Resistance in Dentistry
- World Health Organization: Fact sheet: Antimicrobial resistance
We hope you find the conversation useful. We welcome your thoughts, questions and/or suggestions about this post and other topics. Leave a comment in the box below or send us your feedback by email.
Until next time!
CDA Oasis Team