Parents’ Views on the Application of Silver Diamine Fluoride
During the annual conference of the Canadian Association of Public Health Dentistry, held this past September, Dr. Grace Kyoon Achan presented research investigating parents' perspective on their child’s experience with silver diamine fluoride (SDF).
Dr. Kyoon-Achan, a research fellow at the Manitoba First Nations Center for Aboriginal Health Research (MFN-CAHR) based in the College of Medicine at the University of Manitoba and researcher at The Children's Hospital Research Institute of Manitoba (CHRIM), spoke with me about her research project. Dr. Kyoon-Achan gives a presentation entitled, “Manitoba parents' view on their child's experience with silver diamine fluoride (SDF).”
- Why this research is important to dentistry at this time i.e., rates of early childhood caries, associated hospital costs, anxieties associated with surgery under general anesthesia.
- Key presentation takeaways, regarding the use of SDF as a safe, effective, and non-invasive alternative to surgery to treat early childhood caries.
- Talking to parents about SDF treatment, results, and side-effects.
- What we know about SDF, its history and use around the globe and its effectiveness as a prevention method of caries in affected primary teeth.
- Aesthetic results of SDF application i.e., black stains on teeth.
- Breakdown of research results, including parents’ confidence in, and acceptance of, SDF treatment as well as how they first learned about SDF.
- Aesthetic concerns and attitudes as described by parents and children who participated in the study.
- Study conclusions and authors’ recommendations.
We always look forward to hearing your thoughts and receiving your questions and/or suggestions about this post and other topics. Leave a comment in the box below, send us your feedback by email, or call us at 1-855-716-2747.
Until next time!
Chiraz Guessaier, CDA Oasis Manager
Oasis Moment/Preview (1.30″)
Full Conversation (17.27″)
Study Methodology (3.45″)
Summary of Results (9.08″)
- Silver Diamine Fluoride in Caries Management
- Can Silver Diamine Fluoride Arrest Post-Radiation Caries? Case Report