Sleep First, Treat Later with Dr. Marie-Hélène Pelletier
Improving our sleep and bedtime habits makes us mentally sharper, emotionally calmer, and gives our brains and bodies much-needed time to recharge and reset for days ahead. Today, Dr. Marie-Hélène Pelletier speaks with Chiraz Guessaier about healthy sleep, its impact on our overall health and wellbeing, and provides strategies to help you sleep better.
About Dr. Marie-Helene Pelletier
Dr. Marie-Helene Pelletier is a bilingual, practicing resilience and anxiety psychologist and experienced senior leader with over 20 years of experience in clinical, counselling, workplace psychology. One of her key areas of focus is anxiety therapy. She holds a Ph.D. in counseling psychology from the University of British Columbia (UBC) and an MBA from the UBC Sauder School of Business.
In her psychology practice, she mostly works with young adults, managers of all levels and ages, business owners, and career professionals (health professionals, lawyers, accountants, engineers, etc.) on anxiety and mood problems as well as other issues such as life transitions, return to work, burnout recovery, self-esteem, loss and grief, and coping and communication skills.
We want to hear from you!
Leave a comment about this post in the box below, send your feedback by email or call us at 1-855-716-2747.
Until next time!
Chiraz Guessaier, Manager, CDA Oasis
During this Oasis conversation, Dr. Pelletier talks about:
- How to define healthy sleep in our own lives?
- Psychological and physiological causes of sleep deprivation as well as gender and sleep.
- What activities, conditions, and food/drink habits can inhibit healthy sleep.
- When to use natural and other sleep aids and/or medications and what to consider when taking sleep aids or medications.
- Adverse effects of sleep deprivation on our physical and cognitive processes and daily functioning.
- Tips and strategies for improving sleep and creating a relaxing pre-sleep practice.
- What to do if you are unable to sleep at night.
You can listen to my conversation with Dr. Pelletier through our podcast The Grind. You can find our podcast, download this and many other episodes, and subscribe from your favourite podcast app.
Oasis Moment/Preview (1.45″)
Full Conversation (12.50″)