Type to search

Issues & People Supporting Your Practice

What are the Main Tax Changes for Dentists with Dual US-Canadian Citizenship?

Kevyn Nightingale, from MNP, spoke to Dr. John O’Keefe about the main tax changes implicating dual citizen US-Canadian dentists. Professionals who are US citizens or tax residents are subject to US taxation on their worldwide income and have significant US filing requirements. These exposures are largely increased when the professional uses a corporation to carry on the practice, and further increased when a trust is used to hold shares on behalf of family members. Planning is required, and in most cases, is available to minimize double taxation. The cost of US reporting is often substantial. As a result, the use of a corporation or trust will be less beneficial for a US professional than for an ordinary Canadian, and in some cases, using such entities will be inadvisable. More information is provided through the video conversation and the resource documents below. 

Kevyn Nightingale is an International Tax Partner at MNP, a leading national accounting, tax and business consulting firm in Canada.

We would like to hear from you and know your thoughts and questions about this topic. If you wish to reach us, it’s quite easy: email us at oasisdiscussions@cda-adc.ca or call our toll-free number 1-855-716-2747.

Until next time!

CDA Oasis Team

Read/download the transcript of the conversation (PDF)


Oasis Moment (2.29″)

Full Conversation (10.56″)

What are the Main Tax Changes for Dentists with Dual US-Canadian Citizenship? from Canadian Dental Association on Vimeo.


Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *