Video Presentation: How important is patient satisfation? Study Findings
This is the summary of the findings of the National Dental Practice-Based Research Network’s study of satisfaction of patients who received a restorative treatment.
Watch the video
Patient satisfaction is important due to its:
- Impact on the likelihood of a patient choosing a dentist, making, and keeping appointments.
- Impact on the patients’ oral healthcare and on maintaining regular dental care.
- Determine patient satisfaction with components of a restoration visit.
- Identify factors associated with greater patient satisfaction.
- Examine whether dentists are aware of their patient’s satisfaction.
- The highest levels of satisfaction were seen for the friendliness of the dentist and how well the dentist limited the patient’s pain.
- Even for the questions about cost and the time spent in the waiting room, patients were very satisfied.
- The 2 items with the lowest rating of satisfaction related to communication between patients and dentist having a choice between restorative materials and enough information about the procedure.
- Patients were more satisfied when restorations were repaired rather than replaced and when the treating dentist was the one who placed the original restoration.
- Patients were also more satisfied with older dentists: greater proficiency in patient management, communication, and greater technical skills and speed from years of clinical experience.
- Lower rating of patient satisfaction were found when the restoration material was amalgam and the tooth was a molar.
- Patients were generally very satisfied; however, dentists often were unaware.
- Lowest ratings of satisfaction were related to communication.
- Improved communication is needed so dentists better understand patients’ desires, expectations, and perceptions.
Do you have any particular question on this topic? Do you have any comments or suggestions? Email us at email@example.com
You are invited to comment on this post and provide further insights by posting in the comment box which you will find by clicking on “Post a reply” below. You are welcome to remain anonymous and your email address will not be posted.