The Use and Misuse of Antibiotics
We are pleased to share with you another conversation in the series of conversations with leaders of the Canadian Association of Public Health Dentistry (CAPHD).
Dr. John O’Keefe speaks with Dr. Sonica Singhal, CAPHD President-elect, and lead author, Dr. Kelli Stein, about their recent article entitled, The use and misuse of antibiotics in dentistry, as they discuss the results of the scoping review and what it means for practicing dentists.
In this conversation, the authors talk about:
- The significance of the issues raised in the article for dentists, including over-prescribing and antibiotic resistant bacteria.
- Positive trends in antibiotic prescribing among dentists, including adherence to prescription guidelines and best-practices.
- Cases of dentists prescribing antibiotics more frequently; for example, following an implant placement or root canal treatment.
- The inappropriate use and prescription of antibiotics and its impact on patients and the broader healthcare system.
- Using the scoping review to improve prescription guidelines, mobilize knowledge, and enhance training among dentists, physicians and students.
- The Development of future practice guidelines with recommendations from CAPHD for indications and regimens of antibiotic prescriptions.
We want to hear from you! Leave a comment about this post in the box below, send your feedback by email or call us at 1-855-716-2747.
Until next time!
CDA Oasis Team
Oasis Moment/Preview (1.29″)