I had the pleasure to meet and speak with Patricia Worcester, RDH, CDA and founder and clinical director of Mission Possible…Best Hygiene, as well as international speaker and published author. She spoke about her session at ASM 2017 titled: Oral and Systemic Health of the Periodontal Patient.
Chiraz Guessaier, CDA Oasis Manager
- The presentation tackles the new etiology of periodontal disease and how the patients’ systemic health is a major influencing factor in their susceptibility to acquire periodontal disease.
- The presentation shows the relationship factors between numerous systemic health conditions and oral health, and vice versa.
- Attendees will learn how to be more effective while taking a thorough medical history and help patients improve their total health while improving their dental health. There is a lot more involved with periodontal diseases than just improving oral hygiene!
- Increase your knowledge of the medical/dental systemic health connections, and learn how to present the connections to the patient
- Health conditions and medications can cause oral diseases; learn the links. Engage the patient while taking their medical history
- Learn how to engage the patient to accept periodontal treatment to help improve their total health
- Periodontal Disease and Overall Health: Clinician’s Guide (Full-text PDF)
- Journal of periodontology
- American Heart Association
- Heart and Stroke Foundation of Canada
- American Academy of Periodontology
- University of Florida, Office of Research
- American Society of Microbiology
- American Diabetes Association
- Canadian Diabetes Association
- Journal of the American Medical Association
- American Association of Cancer Research
- Canadian Cancer Society Research Institute
- Canadian Cancer Society
- Canadian Dental Hygiene Association
- Journal of Clinical Rheumatology
- Journal of Neuroinflammation