Dentistry encompasses various elements of dental and oral health. Oral healthcare professionals place a special emphasis on caries prevention as there are various protocols, diagnostic tools and medicaments that can be effective in preventing or arresting the decay process. At the same time, the abundance of information can also be overwhelming for patients and may contribute to confusion about the effectiveness or necessity of preventive care. This potential for confusion is highlighted in Jo-Anne Jones’ video discussion with her neighbour about the merits of fluoride treatment especially when delivered in the form of a varnish. In the following video, a panel of experts gives its perspective on the importance of fluoride varnish use in dental practice to help prevent caries.
1. Vanish™ 5% Sodium Fluoride White Varnish with Tri-Calcium Phosphate (TCP) is a proprietary formula that contains fluoride‚ calcium and phosphate, components naturally found in saliva. This exclusive TCP technology has been customized to work with Vanish white varnish to deliver targeted and sustained fluoride and calcium release. The Tri-Calcium Phosphate in Vanish™ 5% Sodium Fluoride White Varnish with TCP is milled to create a protective coating which ensures undesired interactions between calcium and phosphate and calcium and fluoride do not occur throughout the shelf life of the varnish. However‚ when Vanish white varnish is applied to the tooth surface‚ the coating is slowly dissolved by saliva‚ allowing the protected calcium component to be released in parallel with fluoride ions. This process enables Vanish white varnish to continuously release fluoride AND calcium over the life of the varnish-up to 24 hours!
2. Vanish white varnish flows better than other varnishes tested‚ and doesn’t just harden and stop where applied. It remains fluid longer‚ and continues to flow from treated to untreated tooth surfaces-including interproximal areas.
3.Because Vanish white varnish flows across and between teeth‚ more varnish reaches more tooth surfaces and more fluoride is released in the mouth compared to competitive varnish tested. Clinical test shows Vanish™ 5% Sodium Fluoride White Varnish provides higher average salivary fluoride levels in vivo. (Source: 3M ESPE internal data)
- Simple to use and comfortable to wear.
- Easy to apply – no complicated pre-treatment is necessary. It can even be applied if plaque is present.
- Now contains an exclusive calcium and phosphate ingredient
- >8 years of clinical success
- Contains 22‚600 ppm fluoride
- Covers more tooth surfaces to deliver fluoride
- Releases calcium
- The colour is similar to enamel‚ so it’s virtually invisible
- Available in Cherry‚ Melon or Mint flavours; sweetened with xylitol