This post was created in collaboration with VOCO
On an experimental basis, we have asked a limited number of companies to provide us with “Practical How To” answers to clinical questions/dilemmas. We were prompted to conduct this experiment when dental team members told us that they visit company websites and consult company representatives for practical clinical information. We look forward to receiving your feedback on this experiment.
Profluorid Varnish (PFV) is a white transparent, great tasting 5% NaF varnish. It is indicated for desensitization as the varnish seals off dentinal tubules to relieve hypersensitivity. Additionally, as with other fluoride varnishes, due to their ability to latch on to tooth structure, many dental organizations such as the ADA, highly recommend using fluoride varnishes for fluoride treatments.
It is the colophony, or tree rosin, found within Profluorid Varnish that enables it to latch on to the tooth as colophony sets up in the presence of saliva. This feature is how Profluorid Varnish is able to deliver more fluoride to the tooth both initially and over a 24-hour period compared to fluoride gels, foams and rinses as it stays in contact with the tooth for a much longer period of time. So while the colophony sets up on the tooth the NaF within Profluorid Varnish uses the saliva to spread throughout the mouth from surface to surface, tooth to tooth.
Profluorid varnish is unique as it has a very low (i.e. thin) film thickness which minimizes “clumping” during application for better ease-of-use and minimizes the “sticky” or rough feeling patients have been known to complain about after application of fluoride varnishes. Instead, they benefit from the protecting and desensitizing qualities of the fluoride while having a positive experience. The varnish is available in 4 light or subtle flavors, including the best-seller, caramel. The reduced film thickness and light flavor results in better patient acceptance and compliance with treatment.
- PFV does not de-homogenize or separate
- PFV is color-stable and white transparent when applied – does not “yellow”
- Sweetened with xylitol for pleasant taste with NO aftertaste
- Immediate high fluoride release – ~ >6,000 ppm over the first two hours
- Adheres to wet tooth surfaces in seconds
- High flow characteristics
- Contains NO saccharin, aspartame or gluten
- Patients can eat and drink immediately after application with the following precautions for 4 hours:
- No Brushing
- No Alcohol
- No Hard Foods
- No Hot Foods
- Available in 4 flavors (Melon, Mint, Cherry and Caramel) or a Mixed pack
- Available in a 50pk, an Easy Operatory Dispensing 200p, as well as individual 10ml tubes.
- Available in 2 doses (4% adult and 0.25% children)
- Available in an easy, non-messy SingleDose delivery system (brush included)