Dr. Randall Croutze, newly elected CDA President, gave a brief summary of the CDA delegation activities with the federal government and a number of members of parliament.
- Dentists from across Canada had the opportunity to exchange ideas and information with the government and members of the parliament.
- There was a great of sense of collaboration around issues that are of importance to Canadian dentists.
- Identifying strategies for sugar reduction: Canadian dentists have always understood that reducing sugar will decrease the load of diseases that they encounter in their practices. Reducing sugar would also result in better health determinants for the Canadian public. In particular focus was the labeling of food in terms of sugar content and advertising to children food and beverages that are high-sugar.
- Refugees and the role of dentists in providing much needed oral care services were brought up.
- The delegation pressed that the tax reduction promise gets carried out in the 2017 budget. The delegation also ensured that dental practices are seen as small businesses that would fall under the framework of the Canadian Controlled Private Corporations Act and are included in the tax reduction.