This post was prepared in collaboration with VOCO
On an experimental basis, we have asked a limited number of companies to provide us with practical “How To” answers to clinical questions. We were prompted to conduct this experiment when dental team members told us that they visit company websites and consult company representatives for practical clinical information. We look forward to receiving your feedback on this experiment.
Although today’s modern composites offer an esthetic tooth-like-restoration result for the short term, there is still room for improvement that benefit both dentists and patients, alike.
Admira Fusion and its Nano-ORMOCER® (ORganically- MOdified CERamic) technology come to the rescue! Created through the innovative “FUSION” of VOCO’s proven Nano-Hybrid and ORMOCER® technologies, Nano-ORMOCER® Technology is a completely new direct restorative technology built from the molecular level up!
Two technologies form the basis for the nano-ORMOCER technology. Nano-Hybrid technology was first introduced to the dental industry in 2003 when VOCO successfully launched Grandio the world’s first Nano-Hybrid composite. This technology allows for an increased glass filler rate through the use of nano-particulate, which are small spherical balls of glass about 20-60 nm in diameter. The introduction of this nano-particulate reduces the volume and weight of the resin matrix which has been connected to the numerous negative attributes of composite, such as shrinkage, staining, sticky handling, etc.; and thus, it increases the overall performance of the material.
ORMOCER® technology was developed by the German based Fraunhofer Institute for Silicate Research (ISC) and has been embraced and successfully implemented by industries around the world. This success is due to its myriad of benefits and behaviors, such as scratch resistance, anti-static, anti-microbial, surface tension reduction, among others.
Within dentistry, ORMOCER® technology was first introduced by VOCO, as Admira, a hybrid composite, two decades ago. ORMOCER® technology represents the matrix that fills the spaces between the various sizes of glass fillers and is also based on silicon oxide (i.e. ceramic). This matrix is made up of pre-polymerized molecular groupings that are much larger than traditional monomers. When cured, they offer an exponentially greater amount of double bonds for polymerization which lends to nano-ORMOCER’s elimination of residual monomers after light curing. Additionally, the silicon oxide- based ORMOCER® matrix allows Admira Fusion to maintain ceramic-like properties that enhance the overall esthetics, including long-term color stability and an ideal balance between translucency and opacity.
Together, these two successful technologies offer completely new levels of physical properties (shrinkage, shrinkage stress, strength, longevity, esthetics and more) that will benefit both the dentist and the patient!
The benefits of Admira Fusion, as the first nano-ORMOCER and ALL CERAMIC-based direct restorative, include:
- Up to 50% less shrinkage and shrinkage stress than modern/traditional composites (illustrated in Figure 1)
- A new level of biocompatibility, as it contains none of the classic monomers like BisGMA, TEGDMA, UDMA, etc.
- An ORMOCER® (ORganically MOdified CERamic) matrix that offers an exponentially higher amount of double bonds than the classic monomers (100 vs 1 or 2), offering an extremely high level of cross-linking that eliminates the concern of any residual monomers associated with sensitivities to monomer materials
- Admira Fusion’s 84% fill rate combined with the ORMOCER® physical properties ensure Admira Fusion’s surface and edge strength stand out to create a stronger overall restoration
- Extremely high-shade stability (ceramic-like quality) allows for a restoration with esthetics that last longer too
The evolutionary step forward is the reduced shrinkage and shrinkage stress which directly affects the restoration’s marginal integrity and overall longevity. Equally important is the new level of biocompatibility in which the unique ORMOCER® matrix replaces the classic monomers. This matrix is capable of a significant higher amount of cross-linking; and therefore, eliminates residual monomers.
- Up to 50% lower shrinkage & shrinkage stress = better marginal integrity & longevity, lower post-op sensitivity
- High 84% fill rate for high wear resistance, surface hardness & edge strength
- Lower extrinsic staining resulting from foods and medications
- Can be used with all resin-based adhesives
- Non-sticky consistency for easy handling
- Perfect balance of translucency and opacity for natural looking restorations
- Easy to polish to a high shine luster
- Class I to V restorations and inlays
- Base in class I and II cavities
- Reconstruction of traumatically damaged anteriors
- Faceting of discolored anteriors
- Locking, splinting of loose anteriors
- Extended fissure sealing
- Repairing veneers, small enamel defects and temporary C&B-materials
- Restoration of deciduous teeth
- Core build-up
- Admira Fusion Instructions for Use
- Admira Fusion Instructions for Use Pictogram
- Admira Fusion Safety Data Sheet
- Admira Fusion Guide
- Admira Fusion Scientific Compendium (e-book) (PDF)
- Admira Fusion Clinical Study: 6-Month Results
- Admira Fusion Cusp Deformation/Marginal Integrity
- Admira Fusion Tensile Bond Strength Values