Dr. John O’Keefe spoke with Dr. Nastaran Sharifian, currently studying for a master’s degree at the University of Montreal. Dr. Sharifian conducted research on the topic of access to dental care in rural areas of Canada.
Help understand dental students’ perceptions of setting up a practice in rural areas. The assumption was that understanding the barriers to setting up practice in rural areas, could help design strategies to encourage young dentists to practice in those areas.
- Rural Dentistry website at www.ruraldentistry.com
The project aims to:
- Draw attention on the current situation of oral health and access to oral health care in rural and remote Quebec.
- Highlight the increasing demand of dental workforce in these areas.
- Encourage oral health service providers to practice in Quebec’s rural and remote regions.
- Motivate policy makers to enhances social infrastructure and rural and remote development
- Support rural and remote communities to achieve better oral health, general health and quality of life.
Watch the video