Could green tea improve bond strength following bleaching?
This summary is based on the article published in the European Journal of Oral Sciences: Can green tea be used to reverse compromised bond strength after bleaching? (August 2013)
Purpose of the Study
Evaluate the antioxidant effect of green tea on microtensile bond strength to bleached enamel.
- Green tea catechins have been shown to possess potent antioxidant activity several times higher than that of vitamin C and vitamin E.
- The strong antioxidant properties of green tea have been attributed to catechins of EGCG and EGC which can donate hydrogens from the hydroxyl groups in their structure and have excellent antioxidant activities due to their free-radical scavenging ability.
- Green tea a natural antioxidant, has superior efficacy over 10% sodium ascorbate.
- When used prior to bonding procedures on bleaached enamel, green tea completely neutralized the deleterious effects of bleaching and was able to significantly increase the bond strength.
- Green tea may be another alternative for use immediately after bleaching.
Do you have any particular question on this topic? Do you have any comments or suggestions? Email us at email@example.com
You are invited to comment on this post and provide further insights by posting in the comment box which you will find by clicking on “Post a reply“ below. You are welcome to remain anonymous and your email address will not be posted.