Connecting with Patients with Nonverbal or Limited Communication Skills
Dr. Chantal Czerednikow introduces an expert panel that includes Carroll and Brian Sturgeon, parents of Melanie - a woman with a developmental disability; Dr. Dave Tesini, creator of the D-Termined program - an initiative developed to help oral health professionals interact with people on the autism spectrum in a dental setting; and Dr. Don Morrow, an expert in Motivational Interviewing.
In this edition, the panelists discuss the challenge of connecting with patients with nonverbal or limited communication skills in the dental health setting and offer practical insight and solutions from a variety of perspectives.
We hope you find the conversation useful. We welcome your thoughts, questions and/or suggestions about this post and other topics. Leave a comment in the box below or send us your feedback by email.
Until next time!
CDA Oasis Team
- D-Termined Program Parent Version
- The D-Termined Program Part 1
- D-Termined Program Part 2
- Tesini DA. (2014). Providing Comprehensive, Quality Dental Care to Children with Autism Spectrum Disorder. . Inside Dental Assisting March-April pp22-27. Retrieved from https://lscpagepro.mydigitalpublication.com/publication/?i=201523&ver=html5&p=24
- AlHumaid, J., Tesini, D., Finkelman, M., & Loo, C. Y. (2016). Effectiveness of the D-TERMINED program of repetitive tasking for children with autism spectrum disorder. Journal of Dentistry for Children, 83(1), 16-21.
- The Monarch System
- Invigorating Oral Health Care: using Motivational Interviewing in Clinical Practice