This post was prepared in collaboration with Tokuyama Dental America
On an experimental basis, we have asked a limited number of companies to provide us with practical “How To” answers to clinical questions. We were prompted to conduct this experiment when dental team members told us that they visit company websites and consult company representatives for practical clinical information. We look forward to receiving your feedback on this experiment.
Dentinal hypersensitivity is a well-known issue and is frequently encountered in clinical practice. Some reports indicate it occurs in 15% to 20% of all dental patients. Most desensitizers on the market are over the counter or in-office and last a few months at best.
Shield Force Plus provides a “double-block effect” against desensitization
- When TOKUYAMA SHIELD FORCE PLUS is applied to the affected area, the adhesive monomer (3D-SR monomer) and calcium in the tooth substance . The product of this reaction accumulates in the dentinal tubules and on the coated surface.
- When the solvent component and water are air-dried, a thin film forms on the surface. At this stage, the dentinal tubules are sealed and the patient will feel relief from any pain that was due to dentinal hypersensitivity.
- Light curing this film results in the formation of a strong coating.
- The double-block effect is created.
Instant Effect Application of the desensitizer creates 50µm deep resin tags which stop the movement of dentinal fluid.
Long-Term Effect The SR monomer reacts with Ca2+ ions to form a resin layer after air drying. Upon light curing, a polymerized resin layer forms on top of the initial resin tags for further protection.
Most other desensitizers only have 1 layer of resin tags that penetrate the dentin tubules. With two layers of protection, they can last three times longer than other desensitizers on the current market. The clinician can cover more patients with 1 bottle since the results should last for several visits.
- Instant relief of sensitivity
- Additional long-term desensitization that can last up to 3 years (after curing)
- Superior sealing effect which protects tooth from contamination
- Does not affect bond strength
- Positively affects adhesion
Shield Force Plus can be used in several ways to combat dentin sensitivity:
- Under crowns & bridges
- Inlays & onlays
- Under direct restorations
- Cervical erosion
- Exposed dentin surfaces
- Gingival recession
The chemical reaction between the adhesive monomer in the desensitizer and the calcium in the tooth seals the dentin tubules.