CDA Oasis Conversations: Dr. Joel Antel on the MDA’s Free First Visit Program
Dr. Joel Antel, Chair of the Manitoba Dental Association’s Communications Committee, spoke with Dr. John O’Keefe about the association’s Free First Visit Program which encourages parents to bring their under 3 years-old child to the dentist.
The program allows the dentist and the dental team to:
- Inform parents about factors that lead to dental decay.
- Discuss with parents the effect that feeding habits may have on dental health.
- Assist parents in establishing snacking and dietary patterns that are favourable for dental health.
- Educate parents regarding their role in tooth cleaning for their infants/toddlers.
- Review with parents the sources of fluoride and its role in cavity prevention.
- Introduce dentistry to the child in a pleasant and non-threatening manner that will provide the beginning for a lifetime of good dental health.
- Establish a “dental home”.
Watch the video interview