Dr. Joel Antel, Chair of the Manitoba Dental Association’s Communications Committee, spoke with Dr. John O’Keefe about the association’s Free First Visit Program which encourages parents to bring their under 3 years-old child to the dentist.
The program allows the dentist and the dental team to:
- Inform parents about factors that lead to dental decay.
- Discuss with parents the effect that feeding habits may have on dental health.
- Assist parents in establishing snacking and dietary patterns that are favourable for dental health.
- Educate parents regarding their role in tooth cleaning for their infants/toddlers.
- Review with parents the sources of fluoride and its role in cavity prevention.
- Introduce dentistry to the child in a pleasant and non-threatening manner that will provide the beginning for a lifetime of good dental health.
- Establish a “dental home”.
Watch the video interview