Listen to the Audio Interview
- The goal is to see everybody in line regardless of their condition and to practice the best dentistry we were taught in dental school and learned over the years.
- It’s the most exhilarating experience: when we see these patients waiting for us in huge line ups, you look at the need in their eyes and feel that’s probably the thing that gives you the most exhilaration and if there was happiness that’s it; being able to help that person at that point of their life.
- There is nothing more meaningful than helping and showing children love and showing them that if they grow up with love, they will be able to give love in return and that is important for their future and how they look at life as they go on.
- Dentists should be able to look at individuals in extreme need, extend a hand, and help them. These actions can start in one’s own backyard, with one’s own patients, one’s own community……the results are contagious!!!
- Dentists who are interested in volunteerism could start with Speroway or the International College of Dentists which have a broad base of countries and missions.
- Organizations like the Canadian Dental Association (CDA) could communicate better what is going on in terms of volunteerism, how dentists could get more involved.
- It is important to think of dentistry as not just a silo onto itself, but that we are dealing with the individual’s overall health.
View the video of the El Salvador Humanitarian Mission
For more information on Speroway, click here.
For more information on the International College of Dentists, click here.