LOADING

Type to search

Infection Control

FAQs: What is contact dermatitis and latex allergy?

Share

This information is adapted from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention website and reviewed by Dr. Nita Mazurat, representing the  Organization for Safety, Asepsis, and Prevention (OSAP) 

What is contact dermatitis?

Occupationally related contact dermatitis can develop from frequent and repeated use of hand hygiene products, exposure to chemicals, and glove use. Contact dermatitis is classified as either irritant or allergic. Irritant contact dermatitis is common, nonallergic, and develops as dry, itchy, irritated areas on the skin around the area of contact. By comparison, allergic contact dermatitis (type IV hypersensitivity) can result from exposure to accelerators and other chemicals used in the manufacture of rubber gloves as well as from exposure to other chemicals found in the dental practice setting. Allergic contact dermatitis often manifests as a rash beginning hours after contact and, like irritant dermatitis, is usually confined to the areas of contact.

What is latex allergy?

Latex allergy (type I hypersensitivity to latex proteins) can be a more serious systemic allergic reaction. It usually begins within minutes of exposure but can sometimes occur hours later. It produces varied symptoms, which commonly include runny nose, sneezing, itchy eyes, scratchy throat, hives, and itchy burning sensations. However, it can involve more severe symptoms including asthma marked by difficult breathing, coughing spells, and wheezing; cardiovascular and gastrointestinal ailments; and in rare cases, anaphylaxis and death.

What are some considerations if dental health care personnel are allergic to latex?

Dental health care personnel who are allergic to latex will need to take precautions at work and outside the workplace since latex is used in a variety of other common products in addition to gloves. The following recommendations are based on those issued by the National Institute for Occupational Health and Safety (NIOSH):

If definitively diagnosed with allergy to natural rubber latex (NRL) protein:

  • Avoid, as far as feasible, subsequent exposure to the protein and only use nonlatex (e.g., nitrile or vinyl) gloves.
  • Make sure that other staff members in the dental practice wear either nonlatex or reduced protein, powder-free latex gloves.
  • Use only synthetic or powder-free rubber dams.

Dental personnel can further reduce occupational exposure to NRL protein by taking the following steps:

  • Using reduced protein, powder-free latex gloves.
  • Frequently changing ventilation filters and vacuum bags used in latex contaminated areas.
  • Checking ventilation systems to ensure they provide adequate fresh or recirculating air.
  • Frequently cleaning all work areas contaminated with latex dust.
  • Educating dental staff on the signs and symptoms of latex allergies.

Why are powder-free gloves recommended?

Proteins responsible for latex allergies are attached to glove powder. When powdered gloves are worn, more latex protein reaches the skin. Also, when gloves are put on or removed, particles of latex protein powder become aerosolized and can be inhaled, contacting mucous membranes. As a result, allergic dental health care personnel and patients can experience symptoms related to cutaneous, respiratory, and conjunctival exposure. Dental health care personnel can become sensitized to latex proteins after repeated exposure. Work areas where only powder-free, low-allergen (i.e. reduced-protein) gloves are used show low or undetectable amounts of allergy-causing proteins.

What are some considerations for providing dental treatment to patients with latex allergy?

Patients with a latex allergy should not have direct contact with latex-containing materials and should be treated in a “latex safe” environment. Such patients also may be allergic to the chemicals used in manufacturing natural rubber latex gloves, as well as to metals, plastics, or other materials used to provide dental care. By obtaining thorough patient health histories and preventing patients from having contact with potential allergens, dental health care professionals can minimize the possibility of patients having adverse reactions. Considerations in providing safe treatment for patients with possible or documented latex allergy include (but are not limited to) the following:

  • Screen all patients for latex allergy (e.g., obtain their health history; provide medical consultation when latex allergy is suspected).
  • Be aware of some common predisposing conditions (e.g., spina bifida, urogenital anomalies, or allergies to avocados, kiwis, nuts, or bananas).
  • Be familiar with the different types of hypersensitivity—immediate and delayed—and the risks that these pose for patients and staff.
  • Consider sources of latex other than gloves. Dental patients with a history of latex allergy may be at risk from a variety of dental products including, but not limited to, prophylaxis cups, rubber dams, and orthodontic elastics.
  • Provide an alternative treatment area free of materials containing latex. Ensure a latex-safe environment or one in which no personnel use latex gloves and no patient contact occurs with other latex devices, materials, and products.
  • Remove all latex-containing products from the patient’s vicinity. Adequately cover/isolate any latex-containing devices that cannot be removed from the treatment environment.
  • Be aware that latent allergens in the ambient air can cause respiratory and or anaphylactic symptoms in people with latex hypersensitivity. Therefore, to minimize inadvertent exposure to airborne latex particles among patients with latex allergy, try to give them the first appointments of the day.
  • Frequently clean all working areas contaminated with latex powder/dust.
  • Frequently change ventilation filters and vacuum bags used in latex-contaminated areas.
  • Have latex-free kits (e.g., dental treatment and emergency kits) available at all times.
  • Be aware that allergic reactions can be provoked from indirect contact as well as direct contact (e.g., being touched by someone who has worn latex gloves). Hand hygiene, therefore, is essential.
  • Communicate latex allergy procedures (e.g., verbal instructions, written protocols, posted signs) to other personnel to prevent them from bringing latex-containing materials into the treatment area.
  • If latex-related complications occur during or after the procedure, manage the reaction and seek emergency assistance as indicated. Follow current medical emergency response recommendations for management of anaphylaxis.

 

CDC website accessed on March 20, 2014

1 Comments

  1. Thank for your sharring

    Reply

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published.

%d bloggers like this: