How do I manage a patient with angular cheilitis?
This Urgent care Scenario is presented by the JCDA Oasis Team in collaboration with Drs. Eric Stoopler, Christine Nadeau, and Thomas P. Sollecito. It is also available through the Oasis Help system
Dr. Eric Stoopler is Associate Professor of Oral Medicine and Director of the Postdoctoral Oral Medicine Program at the University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine
Dr. Thomas Sollecito is Professor and Chair of the Faculty of Oral medicine at the University of Pennsylvania
Dr. Christine Nadeau is a dental medicine post-graduate student in Oral Biology at the University of Pennsylvania
Inflammation of the angles of the mouth, characterized by fissures, scaling, erythema, and crusting.
Cause is usually multifactorial, due to a primary infection and/or to noninfectious causes, such as mechanical irritation, nutritional deficiency, or other dermatologic condition.
- Neville BW, Damm DD, Allen CM, Bouquot JE. Erythematous candiasis. In: Oral and Maxillofacial Pathology. 3rd ed. St. Louis: Saunders Elsevier; 2009. p. 214, 216–17.
- Farah CS, Lynch N, McCullough MJ. Oral fungal infections: an update for the general practitioner. Aust Dent J. 2010;55(Suppl 1):48–54.
- Giannini PJ, Shetty KV. Diagnosis and management of oral candidiasis. Otolaryngol Clin N Am. 2011;44(1):231–40.
- Park KK, Brodell RT, Helms SE. Angular cheilitis, part 1: local etiologies. Cutis. 2011;87(6):289–95.
- Park KK, Brodell RT, Helms SE. Angular cheilitis, part 2: nutritional, systemic and drug-related causes and treatment. Cutis. 2011;88(1):27–32.
- Sharon V, Fazel N. Oral candidiasis and angular cheilitis. Dermatol Ther. 2010;23(3):230–42.
Do you need further information related to this subject? Do you have any comments or suggestions? Email us at email@example.com
Your are invited to comment on this post and provide further insights by posting in the comment box which you will find by clicking on “Leave a reply“ below. You are welcome to remain anonymous and your email address will not be posted.